View Single Post
      05-23-2022, 09:17 AM   #5876
Murf the Surf
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Porsche 993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post
We don't just go around shooting people. If the person isn't armed we would use a less lethal munition (…40mm projectile, pepper ball, bean bag shotgun round, etc.). If the person is armed with a firearm then we stay the course and hope he/she doesn't raise that firearm in anybody's direction. At some point compliance is necessary, but often the person ends up shot because they point the firearm at someone.
The gun point arrest dilemma. Canada has less firearms on the street than the US, however we do come across them. We would often get criticism for gun point arrests of people that weren't armed or didn't appear to be armed. The problem is if you have your firearm out and on target you have the advantage. Action is quicker than reaction. I've gun pointed people and they just run....that sucks, certainly less lethal options fill the gap, I wish we had more of them when I was on the road. Every time we drew our pistol we were required to fill out a Use of Force report, not the end of the world but a pain in the ass and came about as a result of complaints that we did it too often.

Retirement is good.
Appreciate 6
Sedan_Clan25116.50
Buug95917426.00
paquet629.50
scostu1623.00
Dang3r12512.00
Dino GT35134.50