View Single Post
      04-27-2022, 01:31 AM   #6
rtl32
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M235i 6MT

Absolutely does increase a net reliability factor.

Honestly this would be really hard to test directly, since people willing to put intercoolers in are usually looking for performance and are obviously going to use that performance more = more load = more wear. But those people may also maintain more aggressively so maybe they will have better outcomes then turn key thoughtless drivers. Who knows.

However if we take other factors that are known to be better on an engine and apply them theoretically:

knock and high temps are bad for an engine. If the IC lowers temps and by doing so improves timing/reduces knock, then in the same car with the same variables, it would probably yield a better outcome.

An IC is basically a poor mans octane booster. It prevents the a/f mixture from becoming more unstable when the engine is putting out heat. This is definitely not a bad thing.

Do it. There is literally no downside other than the labor. You should also probably go full bolt on and put in a fuel pump and run ethanol and do your suspension too. I know it made me happy.
14' Alpine White M235i 6MT, BM3 Stg2+, VRSF DP-CP-FMIC, Dinan Muffler, GFB DV+, 3.5 bar MAP, Dorch Stg1 HPFP, NGK 97506, BM3 Flexfuel Kit, CDV delete, KW V3, EDC delete, Powerflex Camber LCA bushings, VMR 801 18x8.5/9.5 et45, Conti Extremecontact 235/265

Next step: M2 Competition or Manual Supra MKV build Summer 2022
Appreciate 3
Cos270608.50
MLJR235116.50