View Single Post
      03-17-2019, 09:58 PM   #198
CP911
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 M240i 6-speed Coupe

Okay, so #1 this thread is awesome. Awesome, but a bit daunting with all the options and consequences of running all of these different pads being discussed.

I am debating whether or not it's worth swapping to aftermarket pads when I perform a brake fluid flush (Motul RBF660) over the next few weeks in preparation for a 2-day HPDE at VIR.

When I took delivery of my car at the BMW Performance Center, one of the driving instructors told me the stock pads are engineered to "perform as good as any aftermarket pad, but won't last as long as a dedicated track pad." Is this true?

When I did a 2-day HPDE @ VIR in my bone stock WRX, I boiled the stock brake fluid, and after I got home I noticed my rotors had white colored streaks/lines going around them. Not sure exactly what this was, but it didn't look good. Can I expect the same thing from my OEM BMW pads and rotors even if using high-temp fluid?

I don't mind burning through the stock pads quickly since I don't drive many miles on the street with this car and I'll have saved myself the trouble of swapping to different pads to begin with. If I burn through them super quickly, then I'll go ahead and change to longer-lasting pads at that point to avoid swapping pads constantly.

I do not need absolute stopping power as I'm not going to win any trophies at a HPDE and I can just brake earlier. My main goals, in order are:

1. Having fun
2. Rotor preservation/cost
3. Minimizing hassle e.g. bedding in process, not being able to swap back to stock pads if needed, etc.
4. Reasonable performance/modulation on track and wide operating range so I don't have to worry if my brakes are cold when leaving the house.
5. Zero or minimal squeal (only going to tolerate minor squeal when cold/wet on the street)

Having not tracked my car yet, the OEM pads in my M Sport brakes feel outstanding on the street. The same pads also felt great in the M240i loaner they gave me at the Performance Center when we did the ~20 minute run on the short track. I didn't carry high speeds on the short track, but I sure pushed the brakes for what they were worth on every turn (which came up frequently being a short track) and they seemed to hold up just fine.

Am I a good candidate for some aftermarket pads? If so, please recommend what you think would work well for me based on my requirements above. I'm open to any and all suggestions.

Thanks in advance!