11-02-2018, 01:41 PM   #1
MarkDemma
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F22 M240i / E46 330Ci ZHP

Garage List
Stereotypes of 2 series owners

I happened across one of those "stereotypes of typical drivers of brand X" and I did think that your 2'er driver is a bit different than your "typical" BMW owner stereotype. More likely to use turn signals and park within the lines than is the stereotype for drivers of 3/4 series. Less in it for the prestige as your 5/6/8 series driver. Your old school BMW enthusiasts, you know the type that have at least two 2002s cause one is always in the air and think that the E36 it the last “true” BMW will grudgingly say if you had to get a new one they guess the 2 is al’rite. I’d say ALL 2 series drivers have in common they wanted something that was smaller than “they are making cars these days” and have some affinity to wanting a RWD car with pretty good handling characteristics. Of your BWM owners, 2 owners are generally going to be more budget conscious than most, but (especially with your M2 buyers) may just want a smaller more nimble car.

So, "Just for fun" I compiled this list based on the types of 2 owner folks I've seen on various forums. Please critique, correct, lambast me for even doing such a thing or get trigged.

M240i - Probably a middle aged bloke who most likely owned an E46 3 series coupe and thought that the new 4 series was “too big”. Loves their M240, but does complain about the steering and small gas tank. Lightly modified, maybe LSD and Dinan tune. Has taken it to the track once or twice “just to say I’ve done it.” Usually drives in Sport Mode. Would rather drive a low milage E46 M3 but it’s a close call.

M235i - 20 something kid racer, but a bit more refined tastes than your typical rice rocketeer and has the sense to want RWD. Most heavily modified, JB4, catless DP, body mods. Takes it to the track as much as can afford. Drives in Sport Plus mode. Rather drive a M4 GTS you know the one with the huge wing in back. (Or same as above for M240i just has had it a few years.)

230i M Sport - You want a RWD drive with great handling to have fun down twisty roads but you don’t want to spend a fortune on petrol. Sport plus on said twisty roads, econ or comfort otherwise. May have (small) kids. Happy with their car, might look at a model 3 tho.

228i Likely mid thirties and wanted to get into a BMW but something small and economical and liked the 2 door style. No mods. Usually drives in comfort mode. Rather drive a new 3 or 4 series if they could afford it.

If you live in a place where it snows, add X drive for above.

M2 - True car enthusiast type who thinks a 911 is too flashy or actually wants to be able to come home with groceries in it once in a while. Takes it to the track a few times a year. Drives in mode must suited to circumstances. Either no or very light mods - likely M Perf only, to persevere value or completely kitted out for track and only used there.

M2 Comp - just a lucky bastard, likely has blackmail against his dealer or sister is married to one.
Appreciate 4
sport6.00
///M Houbi1655.00