View Single Post
      10-03-2016, 12:52 PM   #97
simoneves
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 228i DSB/THP/6MT

Amp Mounting

I finally got around to fitting my amp last week, and I wanted to ask if anyone else had a problem refitting the whole assembly back in the space. This is on an F22 (2016 228i).

After much cursing and failing and e-mails to Bimmertech, I finally managed to get it to fit but only by temporarily unclipping and pushing out the plastic air-vent that's on the inner fender wall above where the amp goes, taking care to hang onto it so it doesn't drop out into the wheel arch. This gave the space needed to move the outer rear corner of the assembly to the left enough for it to drop down on the bolt. Once the assembly was all the way down, the air-vent frame could be pulled back in, although the corner of the amp is wedged under it pretty hard. I am a little concerned that vibration could cause the vent to pop out.

Did anyone else have this problem? In Zooks527 's pictures, it doesn't look like his amp is as far under the vent frame as mine. My mounting plate is definitely all the way onto the frame so that the amp is as far to the car's right as it needs to be.

I have been talking to Bimmertech about the problem, floating the idea that they modify the F22 mounting plate to rotate the amp counter-clockwise a bit so that it's more aligned with the fender wall than with the centre line of the car. The problem is the raised part of the bracket on the inboard side (right over the USB socket) which limits how far the amp can go to the right.
Appreciate 0