02-19-2021, 01:36 AM   #31
POMFKIMOCHI
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i 6MT/RWD EBII

Quote:
Originally Posted by jt8307 View Post
To me it appears to be related to the wastegate timing, almost as if the car is not relieving pressure fast enough during the gear change. It isn't driver error and related to a clutch/throttle timing issue because if you engaged the clutch before letting off the throttle fully, the rpm's would not momentarily decrease and then increase again. Also, you, myself, and the shop foreman were all able to reproduce it, so it is independent of driver. What also leads me to believe that it is related to boost/wastegate timing is that when you do complete a shift and stay on it when it occurs, the car is viscous when you get back on it, similar to a powershift where it maintains full boost during the shift. While this is fun and exhilarating, I can't imagine it is good for longevity of the powertrain.
~ J
I think you actually hit the nail on the head with this theory, because it just happened to me again whilst explaining to my friend, except this time, it happened on DSC OFF... which should mean there is no rev-match intervention. It's really weird though because the surge happens during the gear change and not immediately after pedal lift. Highway this time, I definitely could not have fucked up the shift because it was a simple 3-4 pull back. It was SUPER ironic because I was literally telling my passenger how if I'm in DSC OFF I'll be protected from this fuckery but, lo and behold, it went from around 6500rpms to 7500+ (literally the entire rpm gauge, was probably sitting at ignition cut). I NEED to get a log of this happening.. anyone have any video evidence ? I have yet to catch it.
Appreciate 0