07-20-2019, 03:55 AM   #948
Rmtt
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 128i, 2008 LS3 C6

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsturbointeg View Post
question. what do you guys think puts more emphasis on the front shoulders when doing front raises? for example with the barbell is it best to have a shoulder width grip...wide grip or close grip? same thing with dumbbells? wide, narrow, shoulder width and hand placement. thumbs up or palm down at the top of the movement? I've always tried several ways but never found which one is best...anyone? Bueller?

I approach any shoulder exercise whether it be press or raise/lateral with a parallel grip if using a barbell. It's been shown to the safest and most stable position to be in, and actually sets you up best for injury prevention as you are at your strongest.

And where you are at your strongest.....that's where you can recruit the mist fibers!

If you study the way muscle groups work, it's typically for moving along a certain plane of motion. I've never been a big believer in hand placement affecting certain "areas" better except for compound muscle groups.....especially something like back.

Of course small tweaks in grip position will stress certain areas slightly more.....I feel genetics still dictate muscle shape.