05-31-2018, 03:57 PM   #14
K8_M235i
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: CM E36

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveInfante View Post
I'm not sure how much different the N20 6MT is from the N55 but I was having some of those issues at around 58K miles, I'm at 73K now. I no longer have them after switching my transmission fluid from the stock stuff to RedLine DT4. Shifts are much smoother now and there's no shudder like there was before. The 1st to 2nd shift at 5000 and up is like butter in the fact that it's no longer notchy like it was before. I initially thought I was going to be changing the clutch/DMF/PP/TOB but I'm pretty certain I have plenty of miles left till I have to tackle that. I don't drive my car slow, it's my daily, and gets lots of heel/toe action on a regular basis.
Thanks for the suggestion.

I have heard of people liking that fluid to smooth things out. In my case I feel like it might be a bigger issue than fluid though. To put it in classy terms, it seems very f*cked up.

The vibration is so violent that the whole car feels like it has massaging seats. The grind is so loud that it can definitely be heard by everyone in the car, probably the people in the car next to me too. It makes me cringe. I feel bad for my car.

When everything gets resolved I will definitely have the fluid changed to the redline by a reputable indy BMW shop. I would hate to think that the fluid caused it in the first place.

BMW still hasn't gotten back to me to let me know if I can bring it by just to show them before my appointment. Until then, slow shifts under 4k rpm.
1998 S54 E36 M3 BMWCCA Club Racing #532 CM
1995 E36 M3 Sunbelt S52
Appreciate 0