View Single Post
      02-26-2021, 07:24 AM   #14
Barry45RPM
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 MB E550, 2010 128i Conv

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lejunte View Post
Hi all. I'm just about to pull the trigger on a 2018 2 series convertible. Slightly concerned about future issues with the roof and mechanism. The car will be parked outside all year and I intend to have the roof down as often as possible. Are there any known issues with the roof being waterproof or issues with the opening/closing mechanism? Any thoughts?
We ordered & bought new, a 2010 128i Convertible from Jan 4 2010 until Jan 30,2021. (89,000 mi) The only roof problems we had was that early on dealer had to replace the interior "headliner" under warranty because clips holding it to the canvas near the rear window failed. On the passenger side rear, there is a plastic sliding door/cover that slides back to allow the steel ribs to pass when roof is going down or up, from Day 1 to the last day it was v e r y s l o w to slide back in place after roof was completely down... never able to get that fixed right. in the latter part of the 10th year, the rear window glue separated from the canvas top letting the window sag inward and leak. Cost $300 to re-glue at a top shop, repair lasted 8 months before separating again. Didn't want to repair it again, should have replaced the roof the first time for about $2500. Bought a 2017 CPO M240 Conv with 8,000 miles from BMW Ft. Lauderdale. Wife LOVES is as much as she loved the 2010. It is a much much better car than the old one in every single respect, fast as hell... Hope she doesn't get killed in it. Never hand washed it, always went through commercial, long tunnel, car washes. When the windo failed, was told I should never have machine washed it to begin with... but hell, it lasted 10 years! Other than that, the top never leaked.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by Barry45RPM; 02-26-2021 at 07:30 AM..
Appreciate 0