View Single Post
      10-21-2018, 02:04 PM   #8
dradernh
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveInfante View Post
This is a great alternative to having them ceramic coated. I have done this for years. Two coats of a polymer sealant will last over a year depending on the wheel cleaner you use and how aggressive your brushes are.

Prep work is key in both instances though.
Good points, especially regarding prep. The wheel needs to be as squeaky-clean as you can make it.

I wouldn't be surprised to find out that the Sonax product is chemically similar or equivalent to some of the ceramic products.

I put a single coat on my Apex track wheels in July, ran them at two track events using very aggressive race pads, cleaned them thoroughly after each event, and even after the second event the water still beaded-up as I was rinsing off the wheel cleaner. They're put away for the winter now, but I think I'll follow your lead in the spring, put two coats on them, and then see how long it lasts.

The payoff so far has been that the race pads' brake dust came off the Sonax a lot easier than it did the clear coat that came on the wheels from the manufacturer, saving me quite a bit of time and effort.
Appreciate 1