First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M2C, GLB-250, C7 Z51

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9t2hoo View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by H2O_Doc View Post
My M240i x-drive is new to me as of March, so I have never driven it in particularly cold weather. This is my daily driver and will be for all four seasons, including many days below freezing (I am in northern Virginia USA). I don't plan to drive it in snow.

My question is how bad will the Pilot Super Sports be in near freezing and sub-freezing weather? Cold plus rain? Intolerable or inconvenient? Unreasonably unsafe?

I'm thinking of just going to a high performance (I know it's relative) all season tire and would like your thoughts. I could run two sets of tires, but trying to avoid.

Thanks in advance for sharing your thoughts and experiences.
I live in DC. I've done summer tires all year round and I've alternated between summers and winters (my current set up). The cold here is not enough to justify winter tires. The occasional light snow can generally be avoided by staying home. There are a few large snow events every 5 years or so. If you park outside on the street, you'll need snow tires just to move your car around. If you park indoors or off the street, you can just wait it out (which is what most normal people do). I have winter tires, but mainly because I find it interesting to do. The money doesn't bother me. If it did, I wouldn't bother with winter tires.
Very helpful. I think I'll be teleworking until there is a widely available COVID vaccine so, probably best to hold tight on any tire purchases since I won't have my regular 26mi daily commute. I have, at best, a 3 mile commute to the Chick-fil-a at present.
Appreciate 0