View Single Post
      08-05-2020, 06:17 PM   #3
dradernh
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by H2O_Doc View Post
My M240i x-drive is new to me as of March, so I have never driven it in particularly cold weather. This is my daily driver and will be for all four seasons, including many days below freezing (I am in northern Virginia USA). I don't plan to drive it in snow.

My question is how bad will the Pilot Super Sports be in near freezing and sub-freezing weather? Cold plus rain? Intolerable or inconvenient? Unreasonably unsafe?

I'm thinking of just going to a high performance (I know it's relative) all season tire and would like your thoughts. I could run two sets of tires, but trying to avoid.

Thanks in advance for sharing your thoughts and experiences.
I'm at your same latitude. Your max snowfall events are close to ours. Temps here are likely colder on average, but not so much that we're not in reasonably comparable environments.

I drive my car in the winter only when it's dry out and then only to get all of the fluids up to their operating temperatures. Having migrated here from Northern New England, I initially chose to go with winter tires, which I still have. After three winters here, however, and because I don't drive in the winter unless the roads are clear and dry, I've decided to run Michelin's Ultra High-Performance A/S 3+ all-season tires during the winter and shoulder seasons.

I don't see why that tire, or one like it, wouldn't be perfectly acceptable for year-round use by an owner who doesn't drive in snow and who lives in a region that doesn't see the type of winter weather that occurs up north.

Recognize too that if you find yourself in a position where you must take your car out during the type of intense winter weather that occasionally visits No. VA, you will want the kind of tire on it that allows you to drive at least a short distance away. Granted, I'm thinking in terms of the 2010 storm that left some residents fairly well stranded for days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottSinger View Post
Just know that with summer tires on sheet ice or even packed snow any type of incline will probably be impassable unless you have room and speed.
Been there and done that, at 45° temps no less, and with a modern AWD Volvo with high-performance summer tires on it that simply would not move forward on a very slight incline that had 1" of melting slush on it. So in the winter it isn't just intense conditions that can be an issue with hi-perf summer tires.

Last edited by dradernh; 08-05-2020 at 06:33 PM..
Appreciate 1
H2O_Doc512.50