View Single Post
      12-20-2015, 09:58 PM   #31
akuan99
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 228i M-Sport Track 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbeemer View Post
Without going into detail, I find the above a bit hard to believe. I know of no DAC chip which downsamples files from Redbook (44.1 kbps/16 bit) to 256 mp3. This would require something such as a computer or a DSP to accomplish and since Redbook quality DAC chips are literally a dime a dozen, I can think of no reason why a designer would go to the trouble to do this; it just makes no sense. Cars have been able to play standard CD's at full resolution for many many years now and the head units which contain the CD transport normally also contain the DAC chip to play the WAV files on the CD at its native resolution. I think an engineer would have to go out of his way to accomplish what you are suggesting and to what end?
It is not necessary a down sampling issue but it could be quality of the DAC chip and/or associated DSP chip.
Just because a player can "process" full 16 bit does not mean that it can output 16-bit analog signal quality.
The CD output is definitely inferior even compared to HD radio. I didn't have this problem on CD player on my former E82.
I wonder this (CD) and USB input share same signal processing with BT streaming (awful!).
Appreciate 0