Redbeemer
Ne Plus Ultra
United_States
Rep
Drives: Portimao Blue 2022 M240iXdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Willis View Post
Hi Everyone,

This is my first post and I am loving my Midnight blue 228i 6 spd with only 300 miles on it. For sound I load .flac files on a USB drive. So far all resolution PCM files play (I don't want to get too technical but that includes all HiRes formats) but my DSD SACD rips don't. I am now using 64gB USB 3.0 drives and they work fine. I think I will use two and load new music as needed.

I read somewhere that someone used a 2tB portable HDD with problems. The manual says not to do this.
Congratulations on your new ride; I just got my M235 a week ago after having it first delivered in Munich. Great cars! I hadn't read the prohibition on HDD, but I suspect there may be one of two (or both) problems. First, in my previous 135i, it would not read beyond a certain number of files/songs, regardless of how they were stored as it could not index them. Secondly, larger portable HDD may draw more current than the USB port on the BMW can safely provide and this could be a fire hazard or the drive just wouldn't work at all. I have run into this same problem on some older receivers whose USB ports would work with a thumb drive, but not a HDD due to insufficient current output. As for your SACD rips, I don't know of any car that can handle DSD files and many won't even handle FLAC files. Enjoy your tunes and your car!
Appreciate 0