p912guy
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i Convertible

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by wjones14 View Post
3 big issues on the Mini:
  1. low compression in cyl #3. requires removing head and machining valves/guides
  2. bearing noise from transmission. will eventually fail but could last a few more years
  3. steering shaft u-joints seized. Steering effort increased and makes howling noise

For now, I am only fixing the steering shaft. The low compression issue can cause a misfire when the CPU cuts the spark to #3, but it only happens if I let the car idle for 20 seconds or so. Otherwise it's not really noticeable other than the Service Engine Soon light being on. Will have to fix before the next emission inspection, since it won't pass with the light on.

The transmission bearing noise has been there for over two years already. It's only noticeable in cold weather. It's possible that two quarts of Redline MTL would make it a lot quieter and enable me to get a few more years out of it, so I'll try that first.

pull and machine head: $2000
install new transmission bearings: $2000
replace steering shaft: $800
Wow, those are 3 random and unusual issues. Sorry to hear it. Unfortunately nothing mini about the cost of servicing MINI's.
17 GMC Canyon Denali Long Bed 4x4 (Tailgatin, Haulin & Towin)
various 'one design' sailboats / stinky hockey gear
Appreciate 0