View Single Post
      11-18-2019, 12:36 PM   #7
overcoil
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i 6spd

Quote:
Originally Posted by dradernh View Post
The goal is to pass as much air as necessary through the disc's vanes, thereby cooling the entire disc. Using a disc with vanes oriented to allow as much air as possible to pass by while introducing sufficient air into the interior of the rotor is the way to achieve that design goal.

Sufficient air is frequently supplied by a 3" hose that forces outside air from the front of the car into the interior of the rotor. That air then flows through the rotor's vanes and exhausts quite a bit of the heat that's built-up in the rotor.

You can read and see more detail in the Internal Vane Quantity and Quality section on this page: https://www.essexparts.com/essex-des...87M2f80M3f82M4
I'm not seeing anything concerning funneling air to the rotor center hub area for increased air flow through the disk. It seems that increased air around the outer circumference draws the air through. Now funneling air to the hub or caliper for cooling may be beneficial for those particular components.

I'm questioning whether increased air flow to the rotor center hub area actually causes turbulence and minimizes hot air drawn out through the outer vents. But, I haven't read the above closely enough to be certain.

Last edited by overcoil; 11-18-2019 at 04:01 PM..
Appreciate 0