M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 MB GLC300 4matic

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPBK View Post
This society has gone soft.
As a result we are cultivating a generation of "snow flakes" as Bill Maher calls them.
When I was in school in WI, we once got 16" of snow in a few hours. The school finally cancelled classes because the campus buses couldn't run. They said it was the first time they had to close in almost 100 years.
I was already in school, when they announced, so I walked home.
I was at UIUC one winter when the snowbanks were 6' high and the streets were skating rinks and they didn't cancel classes. My boss slipped trying climb over a snowbank and destroyed his knee. A coworker of mine slipped and fell and hit his head, suffering a concussion in the process. They really needed to cancel classes that day and didn't. Yet today, it's cold but tolerable if you wear the right clothes (which some students never do), and they cancelled classes. I have to think slipping and falling and/or car accidents are more of a reason to cancel classes than a little cold weather.

That said, I think the cold was a little over-hyped for this area. Chicago is brutal, but downstate we're above zero now and the wind isn't that bad.

"Life is uncertain, eat bacon now."
-UncleWede

Last edited by M_Six; 01-30-2019 at 03:24 PM..
Appreciate 1
PA135ii236.00