View Single Post
      01-20-2017, 12:28 PM   #24
Pparana
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 m235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by x233 View Post
It seemed strange to me, too, and there are only 2 possible explanations: either someone messed up (not aligned properly or not tightened properly) or they were damaged on impact. From looking at them, I'd say those sockets are rather flimsy. I am not sure about the locator pin. Chamfered - yes, and they get fixed in the socket by the lower chamfer against a small lip that's at the bottom of the socket. I wouldn't call that a particularly dependable construction. Because the knuckle is aluminum I can imagine how that lip can be scraped off and the shocks can slip especially, if say, they weren't properly tightened. Mine are now held mostly by the upper chamfer. The damage to the lip that was supposed to hold the struts is visible on one of the knuckles.

I was told this sometimes can happen on these cars even without any modifications to the suspension and without a major accident. Similar problems occasionally happen in F3x cars. Seems like a weak spot.

Struts... that's a logical question. I am concerned about that. No, I am not 100% sure that the struts aren't bent. The struts look OK with dust covers pulled all the way up, they do not leak, they hold firm in their place, there's no excess movement when trying to pull the wheels, and they work. If there's also a problem with the struts it is not obvious.

M3/M4 LCAs is not an option for me because my car is xDrive.

Eccentric bushings. I don't mind. I run eccentric camber adjustable bushings on my other car and they've never been a problem. Love them. I hope SuperPro bushings on this car are going to work just as well as the PowerFlex ones I have experience with.

On the edc shocks there is a pin, this locates the shock in the knuckle and prevents you from going too low, but also the shock is stepped. I don't see how you could get 7mm lower without grinding the knuckle or something,

If shocks were loose, they should settle at bottom no more than locator, if real loose would make a lot of noise. shocks are held by pinch bolts.
mine is not x drive so maybe this is different?

I see why now you used the bushings on x drive. Superpro are good quality, I have them for rear diff and subframe.
Appreciate 0