11-18-2021, 04:43 PM   #27
Christine22
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: '23 i4 e35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onesie View Post
Why not book with travel agents?
Not travel agents, they're ok. It's the online travel sites I stay away from. 30+ years in the hotel industry, and I was a revenue manager for many of those years, so I will speak to it from both the side of the consumer and the side of the hotel.

When you book with those online sites like Expedia, they "own" your reservation, not the hotel. So if you want to change it, cancel it, request something specific, you have to do it through the site you booked, not through the hotel, because the hotel doesn't have the ability/authorization to touch your reservation. It can be a real mess with red tape and delays, billing complications, etc.

Every single hotel chain is required to have "parity" across all booking channels, which means you won't find a rate on Expedia lower than what you'd find on that hotel's branded website. Maybe the same, but not lower. When those sites advertise that they have the "lowest rate", yeah, its technically true, but it's not lower than what you'd find anywhere else, it's equal to it.

From the hotelier's point of view, they are paying a chunk of what you paid to the website as a commission, usually 15% or more, so it's a less profitable reservation. You pay the same rate regardless, but the hotels get less of it.

At the end of the day, you can use those online travel sites to shop and get an idea of where you want to stay, but you're always better off booking the reservation with the actual brand website. You'll also earn loyalty points with the brand that you wouldn't earn if you book with an online travel site.
fraschusa192.50