View Single Post
      10-03-2021, 08:39 PM   #1
3.0L
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M235i, 20k miles

Factory tire PSI?

I recently had the factory original Michelin Super Sport tires replaced with the same OEM tires and sizes (225/40 R18 front, 245/35 R18 rear).

The original tires only had 17,000 miles on them and although the rear tires still had some acceptable tread remaining and were wearing evenly, the front tires exhibited wear on both the inside and outside edges.

I ran the tires at the factory recommended 32 PSI front and 38 PSI rear, but from what I saw on the front tire wear, my thinking is that they were a bit under inflated. I don't drive the car aggressively or track it, but occasionally hang a few corners when on country roads - nothing fierce.

With my new set of Michelin Super Sports, I decided to break from tradition and run the fronts at 35 PSI while keeping rear tires at the factory placarded 38 PSI.

Just wondering what other experiences might be when it comes to trying different tire pressures.

One other thing: I did have the leaking lower control arms replaced at the same time as the tires. Previous annual services always showed good alignment, but who knows.

When writing your life's plan, use a pencil with an eraser
Appreciate 0