View Single Post
      05-03-2013, 05:09 PM   #149
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:
From a pure engineering/technical standpoint, the fact remains that it's easier to squeeze out more power with forced induction. It's the same reason why a turbo engine is always more efficient than a comparable NA engine stock for stock.
I don't think that is necessarily true, though I suppose that depends on how you define "comparable" in this case. If you just mean comparable output, I'm sure there are some counter-examples out there. If you are talking about normalizing other things such development costs, materials costs, manufacturing costs, etc. then you might very well be right but I don't know how we could prove that one way or the other. Suffice it to say, though, that a number of manufacturers are trending toward turbocharged engines for a reason, and it more than likely boils down to a cost effective way to improve EPA test results. Not everyone has jumped on board yet though, notably the Japanese manufacturers (in most cases so far - it will change I'm sure).

Quote:
At the height of the last turbo era in F1 in the 80's when they were still allowed to run unrestricted boost, it wasn't unusual to see 1200-1400 bhp (depending on boost) in qualifying trim from only 1.5 liters. That's 800+ bhp/liter. By contrast, the current 2.4 liter NA V8 pumps out approximately 750 bhp, which is only about 313 bhp/liter.
Yep, and in time we'll see probably see production turbocharged engines eclipse 200hp/L which edge them closer to the 2.5:1 ratio for power per unit of displacement that your numbers above suggest.

Quote:
Of course you can't compare a race engine to a production engine that needs to last years and thousands of miles with good MPG, but knowing what's possible and what's been done in the racing world, I suppose I do get a bit jaded and not easily impressed...
I understand where you are coming from. I think that BMW's next generation of M engines, and series engine too for that matter, will show impressive power for their weight. That is something that will see more and more emphasis as overall vehicle weights become the target of optimization and begin to drop.
Appreciate 0