Viffermike
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 black-n-blue 718 Cayman

Quote:
Originally Posted by daimeow View Post
Hi Viffermike

You are absolutely right about the discount from the insulation of the trunk. But I use to have a cheap no-brand self-powered underseat woofer (the power is low and the sound quality is not that great) and I put it in the trunk of the E82 135i, the bass spectrum was still improved significantly.

Regarding the rattles, I didn't have any issues (not sure in the case of a true subwoofer).

Right now, I turned up treble a little and bass a lot, and shifted to the rear a little to balance for this zero bass surround system. It sounded better for pop music but might not fit other genre. I also had a chance to listen to an Alpine retrofit system with BxxSxxxd woofers. The more I listen, the more I am convinced that swapping the HK tweeters, mids and woofers might not be the key. All that is missing is "bass". That's why I think adding a subwoofer is the logical move.

I wouldn't mind to go for other options, particularly OEM-look upgrades, but at the moment they are disappointing.
Well, it depends on what you consider good bass response, which is subjective and dependent on your music preferences. If your preferred pop has a ton of bottom end (much of it does), you're going to absolutely have to power any aftermarket sub with an aftermarket amp. The OEM amp simply does not have the juice to articulate those bass frequencies, and the OEM amp's DSP cuts both bass and treble frequencies and boosts mids and low treble significantly.

I would seriously reconsider what you do first. You may find that an aftermarket amp(s) powering the entire system -- including those Bavsound Ghosts -- solves many of your bass response issues. You need to deliver clean power with minimal EQ first before you mess with upgrading the bass capabilities of a car.
Appreciate 0