01-29-2021, 10:55 AM   #15
GenXer
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Like a bat out of hell.

Garage List
Expand your search.

I'm miles away from my field of study in college and even further away from my experience in the Marine Corp, car sales and automotive manufacturing.

Ask everyone you know. You never know if you don't ask. Coming in here and asking is a good example of that. Only a few good paying career has a direct route from college to the actual position. I was just doing a mass interview this past fall and when I see a good candidate, I forward it to my counterpart even if that person doesn't fit my criteria.

Sometimes getting your foot in the door for an entry level position in a reputable company is the key. A good boss will recognize actual talent and help propel you forward. A bad one will keep you down since he's threatened by your skill.

Be personable. Employers and interviewers are people too!
They have to sit through candidates after candidates and need a break too. Be that person that lights up the room.

Be interested. Know your prospective employer. Know what tasks you enjoy doing. Tailor your skills and abilities to that position. Be specific and offer tangible skills. For example, "I've reduced downtime by xxx, increased productivity by xxx" I've introduced xxx programs to combat xxx"

Lastly, ALWAYS have a series of prepared questions to ask an interviewer.
What is a typical day like? How is this particular business coping with the COVID pandemic" etc.
Appreciate 0