View Single Post
      01-04-2014, 04:41 AM   #175
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTT26 View Post
I have seen some early preliminary sketches although not respondent of what the car will look like but the creativity behind the visual aspects is underway.
Engineering has already commenced.
But I must repeat there will be an M2 but it is not coming tomorrow.
For now this is the M235i's moment. The gap in both cars between will allow appetites to be whet and new ideas to be conceived and thoroughly evaluated.
The gap will also allow the new M3 and M4 breathing space.
OK. Hopefully BMW M manages to keep the M2 rather "desirably semi-raw", as explained in one of my posts of last Summer (http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showt...php?t=860846):
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
The BMW M division can royally take its time to conceive the M2. Only (very) few information is known to date. Nevertheless some considerations as to the concept itself.
Undoubtedly the M2 will be a great car, but hopefully the large time window, large budget and mass production purpose, does not result into a conceptually "overproduced" (read: overly fine-tuned) design/concept. The complaint you sometimes hear about some Porsche cars: it is simply too perfect, flawless. The magic trick is to capture some sort of 'soul' or 'spirit' into the car that excites, offering you (the perception of) a great driving experience, the idea of an excellent "nexus" between car and driver.
But, for sure, BMW learned from the E46 M3 CSL and 1M experiences: also for commercial and image reasons, it definitely is worth to produce a special, (even) more staunch looking, version of an M car, and sell it in limited numbers. So it might be worth not jumping on the M2 boat straightaway, but to hold out for the M2 CSL ("2-Series M Coupé CSL" ? ). The latter might be the one to really look out for, for eventually getting (over)awed.
Check the enthusiasm at the dealership when you bring this rare bird (1M) in for maintenance. Guess who's the favorite/pet of the classroom most (if not all) techs/mechanics and managers want to treat ? So there is undoubtedly something special about the 1M, also amongst those in the know, some sort of aura/halo, that makes it a league of its own. Time will tell if BMW M can achieve to capture the same sort of magic with(in) the M2, or special versions of the M2. Some 1M pixie dust might be helpful.
Actually, from hindsight, the time and budget constraints turned out to be a blessing for the 1M. It ended up semi-raw - say "saignant" instead of "à point". There simply was no time and money enough ...to spoil it (softening and toning down its fairly spectacular aspects).
Or how an impromptu performance by the BMW M division resulted into a master piece, an instant classic, a motoring marvel that has set a new benchmark within its class. Let Dr. Kay Segler take off his helmet again and say "M2: now it's your turn".