View Single Post
      04-23-2021, 01:27 PM   #19
aerobod
Car Geek
Rep
Drives: Caterham R500, M2-G87, Macan S

Quote:
Originally Posted by dradernh View Post
Do you interpret the statement "Vehicle with complete equipment for normal operation with: 2 x 68 kg on front seats" to mean that 1 x 68 kg is to be placed on each front seat or 2 x 68 kg is to be placed on each front seat?

With my M240i, I've had a BMW race shop do my initial alignment and an all-purpose race shop check the alignment. I've got no idea if the first shop followed the loading instructions. I know the second shop didn't, because I was standing there while they checked it.

Considering that I've got coilovers, camber plates, and a street/track alignment, how important do you think it is that I use a BMW-specific shop that follows the loading instructions – not necessary, a very good idea, or a requirement?
It is 68kg on each front seat. This has actually been the case for the just over 20 years I've owned BMWs. The only variation in the cars I've had has been with the 2 seaters, due to no rear seat, although I've never looked at the spec on the SUVs.

For a custom suspension setup, I wouldn't worry about loading, as it is beyond the BMW specs anyway, I would just be monitoring tyre wear for overall evenness. In my Caterham setup I do use just ballast in just the drivers seat to reflect my weight for suspension adjustment, as the car is so light the ballast has a significant affect on getting a perfect corner weighted suspension setup.

Last edited by aerobod; 04-23-2021 at 02:02 PM..
Appreciate 1
dradernh4425.00