XutvJet
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2011 Cayman Base, 2016 M235

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyletrann View Post
XutvJet,

I have some noobie questions for you if you don't mind:
1. How much hp is 370whp? (same for torque)
2. What does DME stand for?

Mod wise I'm probably going for an upgraded DP, CP, FMIC, and tune (nothing crazy just for some added DD fun). Would this put me into the "uncharted territory"? Thanks in advance!

The M235 is rated by BMW at 320hp/330tq at the flywheel, but Dynojet numbers of stock M235s show the cars making between 300-310 wheel hp (whp) and 320-330wtq (wtq) depending on transmission (6MT make the higher numbers). Assuming ~15% drivetrain loss, a stock M235 actually makes around 365hp/390tq at the flywheel or well above what BMW claims.

370whp equates to around 435hp at the flywheel. You simply take the whp number and divide by .85.

DME is BMW's name for the engine computer.

A catted DP and conservative tune will put you in the 360-370whp and 380-400wtq range. The CP and FMIC do not add any power.

Between 1999 and 2005, I extensively modified a 1996 Maxima SE 5MT. With tuned ECU and intake and exhaust bolt-ons, I took that car from running lower 15s@92mph in the 1/4 mile to lower 14s at 100mph which is in line with what your current gen Maxima runs. A stock M235, especially an 8AT version, will make your Maxima feel quite weak and you'll realize just how terrible CVTs are no matter that wizardy they employee to make it feel sporty (I've rented many current gen Maximas). My point is, once you get a M235, drive it stock for a while and perhaps add the MP exhaust to get some some sexy exhaust noises (makes the car sound faster and tricks the mind). A stock M235 8AT is a legit upper 12 second car STOCK. To you, it will feel monumentally faster, especially above 60mph.

I've driven and owned some fast cars over the decades, but my M235 6MT with just the Dinantronics Sport impresses me quite a lot, especially all the torque it makes. Although I'll add more power in the future, it is rather silly as the car is plenty fast for the street as it is. Traction in 1st is hard to come by and I can spin them from a 30-40mph punch in 2nd and sometimes in 3rd as well. In sub 45 degree temps, traction is useless in 1st and portions of 2nd at full throttle. Adding more power will only complicate the traction issues and my car is on MPSS tires and has a mechanical LSD. Without the LSD, traction was FAR worse.