09-14-2020, 11:46 PM   #1
OldCrow7xx
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i Xdrive 8A

Garage List
Burnout for drag strip

So I am very new to all of this, but my car makes pretty decent power now and I want to take it to a strip and let it run wide open.

I was trying to understand how a burnout with an automatic transmission could work. I would want to do a quick one to clean the tires.

If I have the brake pedal 100% down, the the calipers will be squeezing the disks not allowing it to rotate.

If I have the crankshaft rev'd up and spinning at 3/4/5 thousand rpm, and thats engaged to the tranny, and the tranny is trying to spin the wheel, but the brake is holding the wheel, how is that possible?

Wouldn't it snap the drive train parts or seize the motor from spinning? If the crankshaft is spinning and the whees aren't I just cant understand how the force would be stored or dissipated. Seems like gears and transmission plates would grind.

My car doesn't have a trans brake, I am assuming the trans brake is the answer to this but obviously thats not an option in my commuter car/ grocery getter.

I know the zf8 has a "launch mode" maybe that plays into all this. My car is converted to rear wheel drive as well.

Thanks for any advice, detailed answers are much appreciated.

2016 F22 M235 8A HK NBTevo | CTS HEX Intake | CTS Chargepipe | Gplus Intercooler | VRSF DP | BM3 Stage 2+ | 18" CSL Replicas | XHP X-Delete
Appreciate 0