View Single Post
      06-24-2017, 09:22 AM   #13
DUSTOFF 46
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyinHawaiian View Post
I had the same stuck backwards situation. My independent shop could not remove it and the Stealership estimated up to $600! When I laughed, the service writer told me she could make a deal to cap the labor at $475. I resigned myself to figuring it out on my own.

SOLUTION!
Inspecting the passenger side, I found the problem is actually with the right side post receptacle (the one that doesn't have the release lever on it) and the difference in the grooves on the posts. The post on the side without the release lever is chamfered above and below the groove so it can slide in or out without releasing the locking bar. The side with the release lever is chamfered only on the top side of the groove. This allows you to push the headrest in but not pull it out without releasing the locking bar.

Worth noting that the right side receptacle does actually contain a spring-loaded release lever, but it is not accessible without removing the little plastic cover. However, without removing the cover, you can insert a fine pick or a bent straight-pin between the post and the receptacle toward the front side of the post, then simply slide the pick around the post in a clockwise manner 90 degrees from the original. This will pull the locking bar out of the post groove and allow removal.

I hope this helps others who may find themselves in the same situation.
Got myself into this situation by trying to sleep in the passenger seat for a few hours between a late night of work followed by an early morning requirement. The forward-angle design which helps protect you from neck injury in a collision was uncomfortable while reclined to I tried reversing it.

Way too embarrassed to take it in for help, I did find this solution after much searching, on some other forum referencing a 3 or 4 series owner. So I can see how this thread will come in handy for others down the road.
Appreciate 0