View Single Post
      08-29-2019, 03:01 PM   #4
dradernh
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by tzargarpur View Post
I plan on getting an M235iR wing and the R cars have a updated trunk to support the wing. I am curious if the new trunk is needed to run this wing without any risk of it denting or caving in the trunk. Ive seen countless cars with BIG wings with stock trunks with 2 series and many other platforms. Car will be occasionally tracked so it will see higher speeds.

Side note; The 235iR wing is mounted with two very thin supports compared to a wider bracket with most big wings

Can anyone comment on this? Opinions? Factual info? Am I crazy for thinking a wing can indent a trunk or is this a real issue?
Factual Info

From the Turner website:

"The trunklid must be reinforced from the underside to properly support the downforce from this wing."

More here: https://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-3...QEBAQEBAQEBAQI

Opinions & Thoughts

1) BMW Motorsports parts pricing is extremely high for what you get
2) You only buy those parts because you can't get equivalent parts anywhere else
3) There are many wings out there that you might choose instead
4) You can buy an extra trunklid for $500-625 (used / new) and reinforce it yourself for less than the BMW Motorsports price; or, just reinforce your lid for short money
5) To do it right, you'd provide support from the wing's uprights down to the car's frame rails
6) Adding rear downforce is generally done while adding an equivalent amount of front downforce; otherwise, you're likely making the car handle noticeably worse

Last edited by dradernh; 08-29-2019 at 03:15 PM..
Appreciate 0