View Single Post
      12-30-2020, 12:19 AM   #7
msendit
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ngl View Post
Considering your install is a hardwire, can you still use diagnostic tools or other OBDII devices with the AIM connected ?
Yeah, it's not a problem, I tested that earlier this year, with Torque logging over OBDII.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ngl View Post
I'm also wondering, with a data logger hardwired, would this interfere with tools like xHP or BM3 ? And if it does, would powering down the data logger be enough to restore OBDII functionality ?
You mean flash tunes? I doubt they change anything about how the ECU communicates with other devices in the car, that would be too risky. (From the little I know about flash tunes, they don't write firmware from scratch, just tweak various lookup tables.)

And yes, if there's some interference, turning down the logger will get rid of it. There's nothing that special about CAN, it's just a shared serial bus. On some other cars (new Miatas for example), the ECU just broadcasts various parameters on the bus all the time, so the datalogger really is just sitting silent on the bus reading the packets. For our cars, loggers have to specifically request the parameters, and the ECU answers. So there's some vague theoretical possibility to overrun the bus. I think there were some safeguards against that, but it's been a while since I've looked.
Appreciate 0