03-19-2023, 03:29 AM   #17
swagon
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F80 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by tturedraider View Post
About the only thing that is pure, hard plastic is the lower portion of the center console.

Source? Specifically regarding the bolsters and the headrests.

In the past if the car was equipped with leather virtually everything was leather, including the door armrests and the door card inserts. Just from my cursory observation of the door card insert material on the SensaTec equipped 3er, the non-stitched door card material (SensaTec) does not look quite the same as the stitched door card material used on the leather equipped 3er. I’m thinking in particular of the Tacora Red, because that’s what I’ve observed the most closely. But, I haven’t made a super close inspection of either door card insert. I do know that on the 4er the door card insert has stitching regardless of whether the interior is upholstered with leather or not. This is a fairly new thing. Before this change SensaTec door cards never had stitching. It was one of the dead giveaways whether a 3er had SensaTec or leather.

Sorry. Didn’t mean to hijack the thread.
source: bmw documents that cannot be published, my cleaning lady says

they do these mid-year changes often, and they are not announced publicly. the g20-23 m sport airbag cover is going to be plastic soon, too. and if i recall, individual merino seats in the g30 5er have or will soon have non-merino leather headrests. just a few months before the end of the production...

yes, you are right that in the e90 and f30, door armrests and door card inserts were leather (dakota or merino) if the car was equipped with leather interior.

in the g20, they have once again cut costs by leaving the door armrests plastic even if it's got full merino interior. and bmw individual will not finish them in leather, according to their price list. they will do the seat consoles or center tunnel, but not the armrests.

i have 4M5 individual leather dashboard in conjuction with sensatec/alcantara m sport seats in my g20 - door armrests, inner door card trim, center console armrest. none are leather and all are made out of different materials. the door armrests are so hard to touch that my elbow starts to hurt after a while. hate it