View Single Post
      01-04-2018, 12:00 PM   #7
Maynard
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 228iX & M2C

I have a 228 Xdrive and absolutely love it (w/snow tires for winter). I got it for the practicality of winter traction, but find that I really like the awd dynamic for performance driving more than RWD, so definitely worth the $$ to me. The awd puts you in a partial 4-wheel drift even at semi-legal speeds, so much more enjoyable to work with weight transfer and balance - perhaps not ideal at 10/10ths, but I don't drive that way or track it.

In weather like we have now, it outperforms anything I've ever driven (I'm in Upstate NY - right near 'ground zero' for snowpocalypse 2018). When I got mine I was able to get the performance tires (and higher rev limits) w/ the xdrive - not sure that is still an option, but wasn't something the dealer knew about so you may need to check the configurator; a nice option if you know you are going to get snows too, rather than a set of marginal all-seasons that you won't want to wear.

All that said, I also hear many who do quite well w/ RWD and snow tires so it isn't really necessary, even with the 235/240's. Probably goes w/o saying, but drive both so you can get a feel for it. Some really love rwd or hate awd, so it is a matter of taste.
Appreciate 2