View Single Post
      07-09-2018, 01:54 PM   #77
capt_and
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 m240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by dradernh View Post
^ This. If you're serious about developing a car, it is so easy to race through the first $100K - and that's separate from whatever the car cost you. For the running part, I budgeted $2K/track day - half for tires, half for everything else, including between-event maintenance.

-----------------

I expect that the weight, speed, and aero of your car will demand quite a bit from your tires. I recommend maintaining a healthy tire budget. One thing I learned was that the fresher the rubber, the more consistent both the car and I were. I ran with heavy aero and changed tires out after 4 HCs because the traction was no longer sufficient in heavy braking zones. That was on the BFG R1.

-----------------

Smart move re: the Miata. That car is the answer to so many track day questions that it isn't even funny. Want to have fun? Get a Miata. Want cheap? Get a Miata. Want reliable? Get a Miata. Want light weight? Get a Miata. Etc., etc.

Miatas may not go fast, but they're a ton of fun to drive, especially when leaving faster cars behind in the slower, twisty sections!
I try and get the most out of my tires and probably run them much longer than most people do. I've put 30+ cycles on RE71s (rotated/flipped them about 4 times). My running costs have actually gone down since my coaching session. I do shorter sessions and the braking techniques have saved a lot of brakes and tires.

My driving coach told me: Everybody should learn to drive a miata. No abs should be interesting.... I personally thing a well sorted E36 is the happy medium but the m240i build has eaten away at any shot I have of buying an E36.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cxp213 View Post
What's your vehicle weight without you in it (at your last outing)?

2:04 is pretty good, but it sounds like there's still at least a couple seconds left to be trimmed from what you're saying and given the mods on the car. Videos of the 2:04 lap?

Wow, I knew you'd be spending some decent coin, but not to that extent. Do you mind sharing the breakdown of the cost, or even the total cost of all you're doing to your 240i? Wish my pockets were half as deep, or maybe I was just spoiled to have been running my tired old 350Z as my track car for so damn long. Then again, my spec is to specific class rules so it's not an "unlimited spec" like you're doing to yours.

Lol, wasn't this car supposed to be a practice car so you don't risk track damage to your P-car?
3620lbs without me, 3800lbs with me in it. There is definitely a couple of seconds left. The RS4s I ran had about 20 heat cycles on them - I think fresh tires would've been worth a second - Fresh RE71s would have been worth 2 seconds. Then of course there's probably another 2 seconds by switching to a more competent and confident driver...

Another item of note is that I had the front iR sway bar installed and still had the oem sway bars in the rear. The car was an understeering machine. One critique I have with the car is that it does not do midcorners very well. Turn in is excellent, exit is great, but it tends to plow midcorner.

By no means does anyone have to go all the way as I have. As a matter of fact, TTW and I have been keeping notes on what an ideal setup is for different levels of spend (since I've gone through a serious number of variations). The idea is, someone can walk up and say "I have a 2 series and have $X,XXX of a budget to work with" and there would be a solution for that individual's car based on a set of priorities.

Actually, this isn't really an unlimited build. If you take a step back, almost everything is related to fitting more tire and improving suspension. The brakes only came about because I set the OEM calipers on fire too many times and warped the pistons. The engine and transmission are remaining untouched. When everything is complete, I think 60% of the cost will go to wheels/tires/suspension, 25% safety, 5% ergonomics, 5% brakes, 2% aero, 1% exhaust, 2% making it look super sweet.

I sold the 911 since all of my time and money was going towards the build. The poor thing just sat there and was rarely driven so I couldn't justify keeping her. And of course, this build got out of hand...

Instagram: @Capt_and

Last edited by capt_and; 04-17-2020 at 09:32 AM..
Appreciate 1
Nugget649.50