10-04-2020, 12:46 PM   #3
elliswyatt
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M240i 6MT, 2016 Mk7 GTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by R9T View Post
My wife has a 230 X-Drive convertible. I talked her into trading it for an M240, losing the all-wheel drive in favor of a manual trans (and all the other perks of the car). This was my most efficient route in the direction of an M2.

We tried an M240 coupe in dealer stock. Incredible car with a terrible steering wheel. Rough, spongy, thick. Like 1000 grit sandpaper wrapped around a 1970's nerf toy. A lightly used M on the lot had the same wheel that also looked awful -- smooth and lacking any texture. Apparently from 30K miles of use. Shiny like an old pickup's plastic wheel shiny, only spongy.

The salesperson was shocked that anyone wouldn't like the "M Wheel" and probably thought we were nuts. You might think that. The wheel might be well-suited to a track day and driving gloves. But most of the time this car's about enjoying the countryside. For that, the red-stitched 230's wheel rim looks nicer and seems superior.

BMW uses this rim design extensively. Do many owners like it for all-purpose driving? Is it an acquired taste? Can it be swapped or rewrapped?
That sounds nothing like the wheel on my M240i. It may be a bit on the thick side but in no way is it spongy or rough like sandpaper.