View Single Post
      01-13-2021, 03:13 PM   #13
pkabra
Rep
Drives: BMW M240i

Just a general update to close this thread out, I did end up tracking the car with 235s in the front, on pretty soft Falken Azenis tires.
It wasn't great. The frontend grip was all over the place, I'm pretty sure because the tires were rolling in higher speed corners. So I'd get grip, and then tons of understeer depending on how much I was pushing things.

Learning experience, I ended up buying some 8inch front rims and putting the tires on to those instead, and the grip is much more consistent.

Car is still pretty understeer-y on exit, but corner entry, and mid corner traction is much much better. However, I'd imagine it wouldn't be that bad either with 225s, just with the slicker tires I was running.

Lesson: 10mm here or there on size isn't going to matter for an amateur like me. You'll notice the "type" of tire a lot more, if you're running higher performance, softer rubber, than if you're running a slightly wider tire.

My recommendation: DO NOT run oversized tires in performance use cases. It's not going to extract the best out of the tires, or the car, and at worst, could lead to some damage.
Appreciate 0