Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportstick View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poochie View Post
I agree and disagree with you on this; I'm all for more visibility but if you look at the headlights from the side, the upper brow is designed to be visible from the side, making the amber side markers redundant.
The FMVSS requirement, based on the research, required a minimum square inch area of sufficient amber color illumination (not white). If the headlight wrap met the standard, it would have been known during the early design phase and the cost of the amber side marker would have been saved.
That's not true, there is no size requirements on the front side market, just the rear brake and turn signal has a photometric requirement of about 8 square inches.

They just have to be ugly amber. That's why BMW able to alternate from big incandescent amber pre-LCI to a tiny little amber LED strip on the LCI and still meet approval.

That rules you speak of where written in a time when standard sealed-beam units was the only option and was pretty weak from the side. Before headlights of today that are made out of LEDS and became much more visible from the side. These archaic rules was just never revised to match current technology or light standard equipment.

Like I said, I'm with you safety, there is a lot of dumbass drivers here in NY but I coded off the markets and the upper brow still plenty visibility from the side of the vehicle.
Appreciate 0