View Single Post
      05-10-2019, 10:15 PM   #8
jLaFlare
Rep
Drives: M235i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by msej449 View Post
I moved from a 330d xDrive Touring to my current M235i Convertible - something of a contrast.

Yes, you will not get the torque of the big 6-cyl diesels that allows the auto to pretty much stay in 8th. when cruising, even with pretty steep hills. So if you do a lot of driving of this type, expect more gear changing. Ditto if you regularly carry a weight of passengers and baggage, or tow a trailer etc.

But in my case, and I suspect yours, it's only me our two of us in the car, and I am not doing long commutes any more. The M235i is so much more fun and engaging, and the convertible transforms a lot of what would otherwise be pretty boring journeys. Summing it up, the 330d was a great as a workhorse, and for long journeys, but the M235i has been much more enjoyable and fun. After 3 years, this is the first car in a long time that I plan not to change, but keep indefinitely.

Two caveats are that I do have an old hatchback workhorse for local journeys to the dump and supermarket, and the M235i does have a surprisingly small fuel tank - think about 300 miles range when full. Oh, and make sure you go for a model where the rear seats folds down (this was an option at one time on UK models) - the hatch through from the trunk isn't that big but it does make a big difference to what you can carry.
Yes,
I'm hoping the contrast isn't something I'm going to regret or be disappointed with.

My situation is the same as yours either solo driving, or on occasion 1 other passenger. I used to make a lot of road trips 500+ miles, (Northern California to Southern California and back) but this has slowed down as of recent. Highway cruising was great, as well as the fuel economy. No Stops needed, and plenty of open road conquer. Was always a fun drive for me.

I really appreciate your comments on the M235i because fun is what I'm currently searching for.

Thanks for the reply.
Appreciate 0