Db750
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 991S & 2013 M3 CP

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnie123 View Post
Hi Db750,

Thank you for the detailed response, I have attached a couple of pictures of my exhaust as it is currently fitted.

I bought my exhaust new unfortunately but I am still adamant to get it sorted out as its annoying me quite a bit in its current state. As you can see its sticking out quite a lot.

I was wondering however why you suggested to cut the thinner part of the pipe and weld it?

I feel like there is still enough distance in the thicker part of the pipe to simply be cut off at the end by an inch or so and still have enough space for the screw from the chrome tips to be secured on it.

Please let me know your thoughts, Thanks
Hey Ronnie,

Thank you for your helpful reply! It is great to see a new member jump in and begin helping immediately! Hope to see you stick around!

My initial fear was that you would need to cut too much of the thicker end pipe back leaving not enough to allow the chrome tips to attach perfectly, and also once the set screw was tightened it might cause the tips to sit at a very slight angle. Basically BMW put that flared end there for a reason, and with the entire length of it in place the chrome tip can slide all the way back with the inside lip of the chrome tip very close to or touching the end of the pipe, and it will fit as BMW intended (although I do think it will have very little if any difference).

Now that I have seen your pictures I see that the exhaust does not stick out quite as far as what I had imagined. I think you are right in that you could just cut from about an inch from the end and it would be more simple (you could easily DIY with a pipe cutter or even a hack saw as it will never be seen with the tips attached). If you look at my picture at the top showing where the set screw hit against the pipe you will see that if you cut off an inch or so of the end pipe the set screw will still be able to rest against the thicker flared end of the pipe rather than having to be screwed in further to hit the skinnier pipe and possibly causing the tip to sit at an angle. Even if the set screw does need to be tightened a bit more to sit against the skinnier pipe I do not think that it will matter as there will still be over an inch of the thicker pipe to insure that the tips sit perfectly straight.

After seeing your pictures I think either method will work perfectly fine, and it is just the choice of the owner based on how he wants it done, how much he wants to pay, and possibly what he is comfortable doing himself in a DIY situation. Bottom line any exhaust shop works with miles of this kind of pipe every day and will have no problem taking care of this for a very small price.

Please let us know which way you end up going as well as how it works out! Hope you are enjoying your M235i!
Appreciate 0