View Single Post
      04-15-2024, 09:22 PM   #7
dradernh
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by imsleeping88 View Post
I was thinking that with a slightly rear heavy distribution the car will get closer to 50/50 during acceleration and breaking? And the Porsche 718 is kinda like that right? And people love how it handles. I don’t think I’ll ever be able to get it to that, n55 being front mid mounted, but closer might be better.
My 2¢ worth, and I've put a lot of money into my car to get its handling the way I wanted it to be (including via corner weighing – see photo below (note: for handling, it's the cross weights that matter, not the front-to-rear weights)), is that you may well be headed down a rabbit hole with no real payoff at the end.

I came to my M240i after decades of owning street, track, and race BMWs. Generally, I'm very familiar with what contemporary BMWs are, what they can be made to be, what they aren't, and what they can't be made to be without spending sums that would have sent you to Porsche in the first place.

The principal reason I say this is that our cars are not sports cars, while the Cayman is this era's quintessential sports car. The Miata and the Twins (BRZ/GR86) are also exemplary sports cars. Our cars will never be like those cars; we simply own a different type of animal.

While there are certainly other differences, the principal one is weight, and that is the single most important factor in a sports car. We don't own sports cars; instead, we own sports coupes – long may they live!

While we're here, we should acknowledge that we own truly outstanding sports coupes. That's why I bought mine.