03-17-2024, 06:19 PM   #920
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2C - BMW X1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killed by Death View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sneaky Pete View Post
Unsurprisingly this sub-forum contains a high proportion of Verstappen fans, so I guess its unsurprising the level of support he gets.
Shame though that few have the benefit of being long term F1 fans....which tends to give a more objective perspective.
Many here are long term fans. I've been watching for 40 years.
Also four decades and counting of following F1. Likely four decades of watching F1 is less than several older forum members over here, but sufficient enough to have some personal impressions.

Back in the day, I used to root for Senna. But F1 didn't end on May 1, 1994 - only F1 as we knew it ended that day (I recall vividly the moment that helicopter footage showed live and direct Senna's blood: at that very moment realization kicked in that this was almost certainly the tragic end of my F1 hero). And I kept an open mind: time moved on and new top drivers would take the stage. Unlike Schumacher, Vettel and Hamilton, Verstappen reminded me most of Senna: rebel with a cause. But it's useless to claim that Verstappen would be the new Senna. No, Senna was Senna and Verstappen is Verstappen. Verstappen doesn't need to be a Senna. No, Verstappen only needs to be himself. And that's what he's doing.

1992 - Comas (00:30: Senna running to him to switch off the master switch - preventing a disaster):

1994 - Senna (10:20: Comas racing towards him - to no avail):