View Single Post
      11-09-2023, 08:26 AM   #1
Unsung_hero
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M240i

Exclamation Help needed! Oil filter destroyed.

Hello everyone, I am in need of some urgent help.

I sent my 2017 M240i (F23, B58 engine) for an inspection after it threw up a "Drivetrain malfunction, drive carefully" error when we hit freezing temps lately. That error went away once the temps rose a bit again, but the check engine light remained on.

Upon checking for the codes, they found that the spark plugs and coil packs needed to be changed for the CEL. Along with this, they were to do a routine service too that was due including oil & filter change.

I received a gutting call from the center yesterday, and this is what they found:

"Finding:
Technician States While Changing Oil filter He found oil filter completely destroyed inside filter housing, a common but destructive problem with this engine model. To diagnose if engine will need replaced or if it can be saved, engine oil pan will need to be removed; oil pan and oil pickup tube/screen will need to be inspected thoroughly to verify no large chunks of the oil filter are stuck inside the engine. If left un-inspected, the current issue can cause oil starvation, damage the engine and or completely destroy the engine."

Pictures are attached below.

The cost for repairs quoted is totally prohibitive, about $4500 for the above stated work! That is in addition to everything else done.

I had not noticed any change in the way it had driven. Lately, there had been a soft rattle kind of noise from the underbody when in idle, if that might be connected to this.

What are my options here?

Any help is much appreciated, thank you in advance! 🙏
Attached Images

Appreciate 0