View Single Post
      02-21-2023, 04:34 PM   #15
LogicalApex
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW 530xe

Garage List
2020 BMW 530xe  [0.00]
EVs are here to stay and will be the future with no real way to unring the bell. There are some near term challenges that are being worked on and the jury is still out on if they’ll be solved (such as charging in shard living environments as well as battery recycling to name a couple). But EVs are currently much cheaper to charge than gas is to fuel. For my PHEV charging at home is less than 1/3rd the cost of a gallon of fuel (and I get more than 1 gallon of fuel equiv for a full EV charge).

EVs are shifting cars to “always on” and that’s a trend that consumers are demanding more of as they expect things to always be connected now. So you can heat/cool the car as needed without being in it, send destinations, check basic satuses for stuff like closed windows and doors. That’s today. Tomorrow becomes cars able to help you find a spot more efficiently by letting you know the car in front just left in a crowded downtown area and other new features I’m not currently creative enough to envision.

It is OK to say “I can’t picture a future different than the one I know” as that’s the realtity for most people. They cling to what they know because seeing a different world that doesn’t yet exist is too hard.

It made no sense that people would pay insane amounts of money for phones in their pockets that didn’t even have basic features work users were thought to have neeeded. It also made no sense that people would upgrade those devices annually when people kept cell phones until they broke as they were basic “appliances”. Yet here we are. Most people own a smartphone in the developed world and they are changed much more frequently on average than “when they are broken”.

EVs will continue to bring some game changing realities for consumers and will be increasingly sought after and eventually you may see the future once it is more clearly in view as the current norm. I’ll admit though, there are still some who think flip phones were the correct reality and that eventually the smartphone bubble will burst and we’ll all be back there… In 2002 paying for “minutes”, “text messages”, and “megabytes”. The way god intended.
Appreciate 0