View Single Post
      04-28-2022, 03:36 PM   #2129
M3WC
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavyD^2 View Post
You are looking at it the wrong way as they aren't losing a customer as these cars are BMW made, rolling off the BMW assembly line and are simply sold out of a different dealer. How could it ever be bad for a BMW to be in the premium car in the showroom of Toyota dealerships all over North America reaching a demographic that may not typically frequent a BMW dealership? BMW would have never entered an agreement to make these cars if it didn't work out in their favour.
They don't show up on BMW quarterly sales data and they do not make the same profit if they were BMW brand units. BMW could easily add a fixed roof Mcoupe to the lineup, while still having a joint venture with Toyota. It would only mean more BMW sales. My guess there is some language in contract for BMW not to produce such vehicle. As far as Mcoupe cannibalizing M240i/M2 sales. I still think that is just a silly concept. Either way the customer is buying into the BMW brand and ecosystem, whether it is a M240i, M2, or Mcoupe. It is a win/win. Get the customer into BMW dealer for sales, service, and post sale Mperf parts. Theoretically BMW is a few stamped sheet metal panels and some plastic bumpers from having a Mcoupe for sale. All the chassis, supension, engine r&d is done.

Last edited by M3WC; 04-28-2022 at 03:52 PM..
Appreciate 2