05-06-2006, 06:31 PM   #22
David328M-Sport
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: F30 M-Sport 328i Estoril Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90Fleet
David, am I correct in saying your Shell optimax 100 is a ethanol blend fuel ( contains a lot of ethanol )

Therein lies the problem

Ethanol adds a lot to the Octane number, but its total releasable enery is less than the fuel they put it into. So the total energy availalble from each ignition in each cylinder is less than even 98 may be.

Thats why you didnt get good results, and even felt a slight degredation.

The thing thats needed is a high Octane fuel with no ethanol.
But as said it wouldnt make much difference in a 325i, but the Turbo 335i, now thats a different story
Hey Fleet,

The Optimax 100 does have 5% ethanol to "Boost" the octane rating to 100RON. So although it is not purley 100RON fuel, the ethanol component is not great but yes it is still there.

Before putting in the 100, I did contact my dealers service guy and although he cleared the way for me to try it, he did mention that the car would be around 5% worse off in terms of fuel economy (usage) due to the ethanol, which I understood.

Still, and I'm sure you will agree, even a pure (ethanol free) 100RON fuel would never boost a 98 RON tuned 325 E90 car to the 330 HP level, which was my point of my post - as was your original post, as was others as well.

Are you enjoying your 325? Do you still drive the V8?
328i M-Sport, Estoril Blue, Carbon XP 35 Tint, front heated seats, black Dakota, Sports Suspension, Anthracite Headliner, HUD, Pro Nav, Sunroof, hk 600w, Bi-Xenon, 19" 403M wheels, Reversing Camera, DAB+, Xenon, BT Ext Connect, MST turbo intake pipe, MST Cold Air Intake, JB4 on Map 2 with Catless DP produces awesome performance in Sport.
Appreciate 0