Thread: Data analysis
View Single Post
      07-24-2020, 04:06 AM   #7
msendit
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M240i

Hah, I was planning to post a chart a week, but that didn't happen... Oh well...

Let's look at braking today. This is a neat type of chart I read about in Making Sense of Squiggly Lines. You basically overlay all the individual wheel speeds on top of each other. They should be pretty close (less so with aftermarket wheels/tires, but you can correct for that in a math channel, in my case the difference was small enough I didn't care to do that).

Now under braking, you look for these tiny micro-lockups where one wheel (front inside in that corner when trailbraking) starts sliding a small bit -- its speed is lower than the others by just a few mph. That's a sign the driver's using the available braking grip, but modulating enough so it doesn't develop into a full lockup.

These are the red circles in this screenshot -- the one with the cursor is a full 7 mph off, so that might be overdoing it and more of full lockup. Not seeing these is a good sign the driver can brake harder and get away with it -- like in T1 here.

Last edited by msendit; 07-24-2020 at 04:12 AM..
Appreciate 2
Maynard3804.50
Nugget649.50