06-02-2020, 11:28 AM   #22
Edslittleworld
Private
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i (6MT)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by aerobod View Post
Bear in mind this thread is about lifting the car using the central jack point which pinch weld or the BMW inserts won’t fit and will actually be dangerous for.

A hockey puck is as good as the rubber pad supplied with many jacks, but gives more clearance around the metal of the jack cup, totally safe as long as the jack has a cup and you are jacking on a flat surface (such as the centre front jacking point on most BMWs or centre rear point near the differential. I use a custom aluminium insert for the standard side jacking points on the BMW. The density of the rubber in a hockey puck is higher than the jack pads on my 4-pad hydraulic lift. I agree wooden blocks are not nearly as safe with a floor jack, as they can slide on the jacking point when the floor jack rolls on the floor, whereas a hockey puck won’t.
I somewhat agree with your statement and I use the aluminum inserts for the lift pads...on top of a urethane jack pad for height. However, recommending a generic "hockey puck" for any load bearing applications is asking for disaster. That's why they make urethane jack pads (same size as a hockey puck) which are also what suspension bushings are made of. Some have pinch weld slots and some don't. They're specifically designed for load bearing applications instead of something for hockey. Plus, this "right tool" is only around $8 anyway on Amazon.

Last edited by Edslittleworld; 06-02-2020 at 11:33 AM..
Appreciate 0