View Single Post
      01-04-2020, 06:25 PM   #2
dradernh
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shovelman View Post
Assuming they are in good condition, how do they compare to ordinary automobile brakes?

DD is a 2017/230 base model with no mods. I drive moderately and will never track the car. I already know they don't last longer but will they ever fade or let me down in any other way?
1) I'd like to think they're somewhat better, but I don't really know. You can be sure they're sized for the car and the way you say you're driving it.

2) They'll fade if you push the car hard with repeated high-speed to low-speed reductions in MPH; or, if you allow the pad thickness to become so thin that the pads can no longer hold the heat generated by even slightly hard stops done one after another.

If you're driving the car moderately, however, in the latter case you're more likely to wear through the remaining pad material and end up with metal-on-metal (i.e., the pad backing plate contacting the rotor) rather than fade due to overheating the brake fluid, which is what results in a soft pedal with a longer throw and a significant increase in braking distance.

Based upon your driving profile, I'd say you needn't be particularly concerned about your braking system. If I were you, I'd perform a twice-a-year visual inspection of the pads' thicknesses along with a brake fluid flush every two years.

I'd have the fluid flush done at a dealer, as it's my understanding that they have the equipment that ensures the ABS-pump/system is fully-flushed as well. Alternatively, you may find that you receive the same level of service from one of the independents found on BIMRS.org: https://www.bimrs.org/.

Just my 2¢, of course - I hope other members will weigh-in with their experiences and opinions as well.

Last edited by dradernh; 01-04-2020 at 06:36 PM..
Appreciate 0