View Single Post
      09-15-2017, 01:17 PM   #75
Maynard
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 228iX & M2C

r.e. the comments that this just HAS to be a manufacturing defect to crack the block - if he is losing a liter of fluid a month, he might get enough into the cylinder at one time to hydro-lock it, causing the crack (and probably a bent rod, or at least damaged bearings). I'd be looking for a complete takeout engine, assuming this one is largely toast.

And one of those threads that really conflicts me - on one hand I feel for the OP, but all the suggestions about how to pass this off to another buyer, or hide the mods from the dealer do seem to be outright fraud - bad karma and a discredit to the more honorable tuners out there. This isn't a case of a dealer trying to weasel out of legit coverage - it was quite clear that these mods would void warranty (regardless of whether it actually caused the fail). I fear that every one of these cases makes the dealerships that much more likely to be defensive and litigious with all of us, less likely to goodwill anything. As many have noted, once you mod like this, you are taking on the risk to the engine and drivetrain.
Appreciate 0