View Single Post
      08-26-2017, 03:59 PM   #1
skitch
Private
Rep
Drives: 2014 M235i Coupe

225 Square Set Up

I see a lot of talk here about the 245 square set-up ,but I am thinking about doing a 225 square set up.
My car is a 2014 M235i with staggered OEM tires/wheels. I've tracked it a couple of times, and am getting frustrated with how fast the tires wear out, especially the outside fronts. I have run OEM PSS and A/S 3+. i understand neither are optimum track tires and the best move would be dedicated track tires with camber plates.
My car is a daily driver that gets taken to the track probably 4 times a year. I consider myself a novice driver, skill-wise, with much to learn.
I have an HPDE class coming up in Sep, and I'd like to put fresh tires on for that event (the event is a 600 mile round-trip road trip from my house). I'm leaning toward springing for a set of rims to mount these tires on. I'm sold on a set of 4 18x8 rims with 40 mm offset, but trying to figure out the rubber.
I'm really impressed by the price of the Hankook Ventus V12 Evo2s (a max performance tire). Quite a bit cheeper than the Michelins I have been running, and they are offered with a 100 rebate right now. Out the door on a square set (225 all around) would be about $100/tire. In my mind, I think that is pretty good bang for the buck. It goes up another $100 if I put 225 on front and 245 on rear. Is the extra 20mm of rubber on the back worth the $100 extra?
I have also started researching extreme performance tires, and the Fallen Azenis RT615K+ has caught my eye. Tire Rack has them for $130/tire. If I thought they would cream the Hankook's on the track performance-wise, and still be safe to drive on the street day in and day out, I would probably spring for a 225 square set of them as my summer tires.

So big questions:
1. 225 square vs 225/245 staggered? Big deal/difference on the track?
2. Max performance vs extreme performance. Which would you pick for daily drive, occasional on the track? Keep in mind, I'll keep a set of A/S 3+ on another set of rims for cold wx driving.

Thanks in advance.
Appreciate 0