02-20-2017, 10:16 AM   #1052
paliknight
fuck this field
United_States
Rep
Drives: 18 F80 CS/18 F80 ZCP/19 M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joekerr View Post
Perfect opportunity to draw a link to the obesity problem in America vs Canada Amirite Mr. Tonka?

I joke, had no idea they get up that big. They probably do in other parts of Canada too, but around me, they are much leaner. Against a 600lb black bear, yeah, I wouldn't be loving my chances either - that to me is like shooting at a brown bear. Not going there unless there is no other option to escape.

I've heard they are quick - never honestly seen one, but I've heard enough to make me want to make sure I can avoid any confrontation as much as possible. The conversation is theoretical anyways, because I can't carry anyways. Most I could carry I suppose is a shotgun, but would need a hunting license and I'm thinking my neighbours would be looking at me pretty strange tromping down the street to the woods with a shotgun.

If it came down to it, and considering you can't carry, aside from spray which is a pretty decent sized canister, what else would you take? A knife as a last resort? What type?

If I'm going into the back woods I'll usually bring a small axe with me. Better than nothing.

Thanks for the thoughts though - never really considered a .45 wouldn't penetrate to the vitals.
Yeah man these assholes run like 40mph. So no way youre gonna outrun that shit. The best thing to do is to alert the bear of your presence. They rarely every attack unless there are cubs around, so watch out for those. If you see any, GTFO there asap.

I always carry a Ka-bar with me in the woods out of habit. Its a great utility knife, and worst case scenario, a last resort weapon. I would try using spray, evasion and other tactics though before I get that close to a bear. These fuckers have long ass nails (4 to 6 inches) that can shred you.

yeah their fur and fat gives them a ton of protection and padding to protect them from bullets.